Historic Courthouse Celebrated


The Lamar Consolidated Varsity Choir participated in the ceremony with patriot songs including Texas, Our Texas.

The Lamar Consolidated Varsity Choir participated in the ceremony with patriot songs including Texas, Our Texas.

Fort Bend County’s Historic Courthouse was officially re-designated as the County Courthouse on Sunday January 19th, the 105th anniversary of its dedication in 1909. County Judge Bob Hebert and County Commissioners James Patterson, Grady Prestage and Andy Meyers were present to pass the resolution of court on this historic day. A short program followed in the rotunda where many Fort Bend County citizens were present to celebrate the rehabilitation of the building.

County Judge Bob Hebert welcomed guests to the official re-designation of the Fort Bend County Courthouse.

County Judge Bob Hebert welcomed guests to the official re-designation of the Fort Bend County Courthouse.

Judge Hebert welcomed everyone to their newly restored courthouse and stated that it is now the home of the County Judge’s Office, the County Attorney’s Office and the Fort Bend Historical Commission. He also announced that Commissioner’s Court will be held on the second floor of the building every 1st, 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month.

Judge Thomas R. Culver, III led everyone in the invocation and County Attorney Roy Cordes led the crowd in the US and Texas pledges. The Lamar Consolidated Choir, directed by Sean Saunders, filled the historic halls with songs of patriotism, with a finale of Texas Our Texas. Judge Hebert noted most of the furniture and several items, such as a horse collar and stretcher and hand water pump located throughout the courthouse, were donated by the George Foundation.

Attendees were encouraged to tour the courthouse and visit the Janey Wessendorff Community Room and the Mamie George Community Room, both located on the first floor in the 1935 addition. Historical Commission Docents were available on every floor to answer questions and provide historical information about each area.

Lane and Vicki Ward with grandsons Charlie and Drew.

Lane and Vicki Ward with grandsons Charlie and Drew.

The rehabilitation of the Fort Bend County Historic Courthouse began in May of 2011 with a planning grant of $296,362 from the Texas Historical Commission. Bailey Architects served as the architect and contract administrator for the project, and Phoenix 1 Restoration and Construction, Ltd. began construction in January of 2013, with Don Brady and the County’s Department of Facilities as the construction manager for the project. The George Foundation funded $2 million of the $5.8 million project and is honored with a plaque in the foyer of the courthouse, which is carefully placed beside the 1981 plaque also noting their generous contribution to the remodel over 30 years prior.